Senator Grady and Andrine Smith Hazlewood
Through a gift from the Hazlewood’s estate to the Amarillo Area Foundation, Senator Grady and Andrine Smith Hazlewood have provided many scholarships to Panhandle students with this scholarship established in 1987. Senator Hazlewood represented District 31 in the Texas Senate from 1941 to 1971. While in office, Senator Hazlewood was instrumental in implementing many positive changes that continue to benefit the residents of the Texas Panhandle.
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior from the northernmost 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle;
- Exhibit financial need and motivation; and
- Maintain a cumulative high school GPA of 80 (3.2 on a 4.0 scale).
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- $1,000/semester for up to 8 semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.8 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend Amarillo College, Texas Tech University or West Texas A&M University and major in field of choice.
General Scholarship Application