Samuel Wallas Huggins and Helen Cowan Huggins
This scholarship was established by the Helen Cowan Living Trust in November 1997 to benefit graduating seniors from Palo Duro High School (with a preference for students entering PDHS from Horace Mann Middle School). Mrs. Huggins taught school in several communities in Texas, including 13 years teaching at Mann Middle School.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior from Palo Duro High School, with preference given to students who attended Mann Middle School;
- Have a cumulative 95% attendance record during high school;
- Have maintained adherence to rules of conduct by PDHS as set forth in the Student Code of Conduct; and
- Attain US citizenship not later than two years from the date of high school graduation or 18th birthday.
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- Up to $1,500/semester for up to 8 semesters for recipients attending a trade/vocational or community college; or
- Up to $3,500/semester for up to 8 semesters for recipients attending an accredited college/university.
- Award payable only after recipient has completed 12 credit hours at any accredited trade/vocational school, community college, or
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.
Recipients who fail to meet the awarding criteria will be eligible to reapply for the scholarship during the Foundation’s next application cycle.
General Scholarship Application