This scholarship was established in 2003 by Dr. Billie Jean Stroehle Smith in memory of her mother, Reba Stroehle. Mrs. Stroehle graduated from Memphis High School in the late 1920’s and moved to Colorado shortly thereafter. After her husband was killed in a tragic mining accident in 1940, Mrs. Stroehle moved back to Memphis and taught elementary school until her death in 1967. This scholarship is awarded to the Memphis High School college-bound senior who achieves the highest grade average in Language Arts, Foreign Language, Science, Math, and Social Studies.
- Recipient must be a graduating senior from Memphis High School; and
- Have the highest grade average in Language Arts, Foreign Language, Science, Math and Social Studies
- Recipient is determined by school staff at the end of the school year based upon student’s GPA in the above-mentioned subjects.
- Outside Scholarship Selection Committee
- Typically $2,500 per semester for up to 2 semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.