Nona L. Payne Trust
The Nona Payne Trust Scholarship was established by the Nona Payne Charitable Trust to benefit graduating seniors at Pampa High School who have been involved in band and/or choir. The trust was originally established by Mrs. Payne to give scholarships to one choir student and one band student at Pampa High School each year. In 2016, the trustees of the Nona Payne Charitable Trust moved the funds to the Amarillo Area Foundation. Mrs. Payne was married to David D. Payne, a successful rancher in Roberts County for many decades. In 1958, after Mr. Payne retired from ranching at the age of 87, Mr. and Mrs. Payne moved to Pampa, where Mrs. Payne took great interest in the Pampa band and choir. The Pampa High School Band continues to pay tribute every year by designating their spring concert as the Nona Payne Concert. In her life, Mrs. Payne gave generously of her time and money to every worthy cause in the Panhandle area.
Applicant must be a graduating senior from Pampa High School;
Have been active in band and/or choir at Pampa High School; and
Must have maintained a cumulative high school GPA of 75 (3.0 on a 4.0 scale).
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- Applicants will be required to furnish the number of years involved in band and/or choir and briefly describe level of participation in band and/or choir during high school.
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee and Trustees of the Nona Payne Trust
- $1,500/semester for up to 2 semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.
General Scholarship Application