John McGuire Memorial
This scholarship was established in 1984 in honor of John McGuire by the Amarillo Downtown Kiwanis and his family and friends following his unexpected death. As a coach, McGuire was sincere and supportive, striving to develop well-rounded athletes who tried their hardest in the classroom as well as on the field. He emphasized the athlete, not the sport. Applicants for the scholarship are recommended by coaches and are judged according to five diverse criteria, which are considered as a whole.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior athlete from Amarillo, Caprock, Palo Duro, or Tascosa;
- Maintain a cumulative GPA in high school of 80 (3.2 on a 4.0 scale);
- Demonstrate athletic achievement, as measured against the individual’s ability, academic accomplishment, financial need, citizenship and character, and determination to succeed;
- Participate in a UIL sanctioned sport (baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, team tennis, tennis, track and field, volleyball, wrestling), with preference given to those in more than one sport; and
- Must be nominated by the coach of the UIL sanctioned sport(s).
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- Applicants will be interviewed by the AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- Amount varies and is paid in two equal payments for up to two semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in the field of choice.
General Scholarship Application