Heather Hinkle Memorial Endowed
Heather lit up every room she entered, and never met a stranger. She had nearly completed a degree in Pre-Med prior to her second diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, which led her not only to a course of treatment, but also to change her major to Mass Communications, which she completed at Amarillo College and continued toward a Bachelor’s in the same at West Texas A&M. Heather knew the difficulty in college experiences, especially after a significant medical diagnosis.
The fund was started by her husband in her memory after Heather’s passing, in the hope that the college experience can be made just a little less arduous by one who has already accomplished so much. Perhaps a cancer survivor can become a doctor or nurse and better serve their patients due to the experience they both share!
Funds were provided by her surviving family and matched by her husband’s employer, Bell Helicopter.
- Applicant must be a current college student who has completed 25% of a four-year degree at an accredited institution.
- Must have graduated from high school within the top 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle.
- Students who have completed their bachelor’s degree and are continuing in a medical education are also eligible.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Must have received a cancer diagnosis prior to 18th birthday.
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- $500/semester for up to 2 semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.
General Scholarship Application