Gary Biggers/Rehm Family Passion for Learning
This scholarship was established by Dr. Richard D. Rehm, M.D. and his wife, Debbra Rehm, to honor Mr. Gary Biggers, a retired teacher at Amarillo High School the Rehms looked up to while attending Amarillo High School. Mr. Biggers was the recipient of many teaching awards during his teaching career and was inducted into the Amarillo High School Hall of Fame in 2012. According to an article prepared by AHS staff for the Hall of Fame ceremony, “The impact Mr. Biggers made on Amarillo High’s students and faculty is hard to measure, but he will be remembered as being one of the most influential teachers in the history of Amarillo High.”
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior from Amarillo High School;
- Must be in the top 15% of graduating class to apply; and
- Exhibit community service and leadership.
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- Applicants will be required to answer additional questions as part of the application process:
- Submit a 500-word essay detailing how applicant’s passion for learning will be used to benefit the community; and
- Submit two letters of recommendation – one must be from a teacher that applicant had in high school, and one from someone outside the school, such as a pastor, employer, mentor, etc. Letters from family members are not permitted.
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- Typically $1,000/semester for up to 2 semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.
General Scholarship Application