Friends of Samnorwood High School
This scholarship was established by Darlene and Pete Smith of Amarillo in honor and memory of Darlene’s mother, Ozette Bennett Rainey, who taught in Samnorwood schools for 38 years, and in honor and memory of all the parents, teachers, and community leaders of Samnorwood who provided the foundation to positively contribute to society.
Due to the closure of Samnorwood High School in 2012, applicants are to be graduates of the surviving high school in Collingsworth County, which is Wellington High School.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior from Wellington High School;
- Exhibit community service and leadership; and
- Maintain a cumulative high school GPA of 80 or better.
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- Outside Scholarship Selection Committee
- $250/semester for up to eight semesters (contingent upon availability of funds)
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.
General Scholarship Application