Dr. Burwell Southern
This scholarship was established in 1990 and funded by the Amarillo Downtown Kiwanis Club to honor Dr. Burwell Southern, an optometrist residing in Amarillo. Dr. Southern passed away in 2010. This scholarship is for students who plan to attend Amarillo College or West Texas A&M University.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior from Amarillo High School; and
- Exhibit community service and leadership.
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- AAF Scholarship Selection Committee
- $1,000/semester for up to 2 semesters
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must attend college the fall semester immediately following selection;
- Maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend Amarillo College or West Texas A&M University and major in field of choice.
**At the end of the first year of college, recipient will be expected to attend a meeting of the Downtown Kiwanis Club to present an update on his/her progress.
General Scholarship Application