Brandy Lee Leard Memorial
This scholarship was established in 2009 by Mr. Charles Leard in memory of his daughter who died in 1983 from a heart defect at only 2 ½ years of age. Mr. Leard knows personally the challenges and stress that come with being a young parent. Because he feels his job as a parent has gone unfinished since 1983, Mr. Leard wants this scholarship to help remove barriers so other young parents or parents-to-be can obtain a postsecondary education.
- Applicants must be graduating high school seniors, currently enrolled college students, returning college students, or GED certificate holders who reside in the 26 northernmost counties of the Texas Panhandle;
- Must be expecting a baby or are actively involved in parenting a child and have a desire to obtain a postsecondary education; and
- Exhibit financial need.
- Preference will be given to students whose total household income is less than 80% of the median family income.
- Amarillo Area Foundation (AAF) General Scholarship Application online at aaf.spectrumportal.net
- Applicants will be required to answer additional questions as part of the application process:
- What were your thoughts and feelings when you were told you (or your girlfriend) were pregnant?
How did you tell your family about the pregnancy?
- Outside Scholarship Selection Committee
- Up to $1,500/semester for up to 8 semesters for recipients attending a trade/vocational or community college; or
- Up to $3,500/semester for up to 8 semesters for recipients attending an accredited college/university.
- Award payable only after recipient has completed 12 credit hours at any accredited trade/vocational school, community college, or
*Each semester’s payment is contingent upon meeting the following:
- Recipient must maintain full-time student status (typically 12 credit hours/semester for undergraduate studies);
- Maintain a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA while in college; and
- Attend any accredited college/university and major in field of choice.
Recipients who fail to meet the awarding criteria will be eligible to reapply for the scholarship during the Foundation’s next application cycle.
General Scholarship Application