For the last several weeks, the word equity has been at the forefront of conversations across our nation. It is a term that carries significance, made even more so by events that have increased our focus on race relations and principles of fairness and justice in our country.
Amarillo Area Foundation’s mission is to improve quality of life for residents of the Texas Panhandle – all residents, regardless of their race or ethnicity. In the wake of recent events, the Foundation reached out to the leadership of our local NAACP to begin a conversation about racial equity in our area. Several specific opportunities surfaced:
- Funding is needed for local leaders from communities of color to advance in leadership and professional development skills.
- Maintaining a high priority for scholarships for students in communities of color.
- Programs for children in communities of color to keep them active and focused on learning, especially during summer months.
- Increased education and training in technology for communities of color.
- Funding for individuals or groups to legally address suffering from potential discrimination.
Another aspect of racial equity in our region is the need for a greater awareness and understanding of the history of our communities of color. Listening to each other’s stories will not only help us understand who we are but who we want to be.
As a result of our conversations, Amarillo Area Foundation has established The Equity Fund. The purpose of the fund is to support Black, Latinx, Refugee, and other communities of color to meet the needs of those outlined above as well as other needs that may be identified in the future.
Will you join us in this important work by choosing to make a donation to The Equity Fund? You may send a check payable to The Equity Fund to the AAF offices at 801 S. Fillmore, #700, Amarillo, TX 79101 or you may give with your credit card online by selecting The Equity Fund in the drop-down box at https://www.amarilloareafoundation.org/donate/.
Make sure you tune into our live launch Thursday, October 15 at 7:00 pm on our Facebook page. We will be screening the documentary Living History: A Collection of Experiences. You can donate to Equity Fund right on Facebook!
Thank you for allowing me to share about this important opportunity.
President & CEO