Amarillo Area FoundationPhilanthropyTexas PanhandleThe Panhandle

The Amarillo Area Foundation Awards over $1 Million to Area Nonprofits

By May 25, 2016 March 25th, 2019 No Comments

Grants

$1 Million to Area Nonprofits

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

AMARILLO – The Board of Directors of the Amarillo Area Foundation, and its supporting organization The Don and Sybil Harrington Foundation, have awarded $1,025,144 in grants with their general grantmaking funds.

The Amarillo Area Foundation has also awarded an additional $325, 446 this year through funds established by local industry employers such as CNS Pantex, and Pattern Panhandle Wind Energy. The Kathy Ryan family also awarded $30,000 to local firefighters to honor the anniversary of their mother’s passing.

Fourteen Amarillo area nonprofit organizations were approved for funding with discretionary grantmaking dollars. 57% of the projects supported in this grant cycle were capital projects. Among the capital projects supported is a $500,000 grant to Heal the City for renovations at the former Midtown Branch YMCA to create a usable room for wellness activities. The other 43% of projects supported were program based.

President and CEO, Clay Stribling said, “Our first discretionary grant cycle really emphasizes our commitment to various aspects of community health. Not only do we want to improve the physical health for our constituents, we also want to support healthy communities with healthy economies and nonprofit organizations.”

“Applications were accepted from nonprofit organizations from across the Panhandle. Proposals were then reviewed by Area Foundation staff and presented to the board for consideration,” said Katharyn Wiegand, Vice President of Community Engagement.

Visit amarilloareafoundation.org/grants for more information on upcoming grant cycles. For questions about eligibility or the grant process contact Kathie Grant, Grants Administrator at kathie@aaf-hf.org. For questions regarding Foundation priorities and focus areas, contact Jessica Tudyk, Grants Manager at jessica@aaf-hf.org . Both can also be reached at 806-376-4521.

The full list of recipients is available here.

 

About the Amarillo Area Foundation

The Amarillo Area Foundation is a community foundation that serves the northernmost 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle. The mission of the Foundation is to improve the quality of life in the Texas Panhandle. Since its inception in 1957, the Foundation has provided grants and a variety of other services to strengthen nonprofit organizations and the services they deliver.

Leave a Reply